Portland International Airport
The site was first purchased by the Portland City Council in 1936, but was not completed until 1940. The airport has been offering international service since the 1950s, though intercontinental service has been minimal or non-existent at times. Today there are direct flights to Canada, Mexico, Japan and the Netherlands.
The Federal Aviation Administration's identifier for the airport is PDX, which has also become one of the many nicknames for Portland. PDX consistently ranks among the most efficient and well-designed airports in the United States, and is connected to the rest of the city by the MAX.