Albina

From PortlandWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Albina was a town on the east bank of the Willamette River near where the Fremont Bridge is now.

The land that became Albina was originally part of the land claim owned by J. L. Loring and Joseph Delay. An ownership dispute led to Delay winning the claim, and selling it to William W. Page. In 1872, Page sold the land to Edwin Russell and George H. Williams. Russell and Williams named the town for Page's wife and his daughter, Albina. Russell spent a couple of years developing the townsite (which Williams had platted), but was out of money by 1874. His interests were then sold to William Reid and James B. Montgomery. Albina grew to a population of 3000 before being annexed by Portland in 1891.