Galleria

From PortlandWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

The Galleria is an indoor shopping mall located in Downtown Portland, between SW 9th and 10th, and SW Morrison and Alder. Located in a former department store, the Galleria was opened as a mall in 1976. Although it is not a central retail hub currently, it was a very popular shopping and dining location in the 1980s and early 1990s.

On October 10th, 2011, the Portland Historic Landmarks Commision approved plans by Target Corporation and the building's owner, Bill Naito Company, for the company to make changes to the building in order to open one of the smallest Target retail stores in existence. [1]

History

The Galleria building was originally built in 1910 for the retail firm of Olds, Wortman & King. It was designed by Charles R. Aldrich. It was the first full block retail building in the city.

Current Tenants of the Galleria

  • Brooks Brothers
  • Western Culinary Institute

Former Tenants of the Galleria

References

  1. http://chatterbox.typepad.com/portlandarchitecture/2011/10/landmarks-commission-approves-targets-move-in-and-changes-to-historic-galleria.html