Portland Railway Light and Power Company

From PortlandWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

The Portland Railway, Light & Power Company was a precursor of today's Portland General Electric.

It was organized on June 28, 1906, after a consolidation of the Oregon Water Power and Railway Company, Portland Railway Company, and Portland General Electric Company.[1] Benage Josselyn served as both Chairman of the Board and President, while Franklin Fuller and Herbert Clark were Vice Presidents. Members of the board included Fuller, Charles Huggins, Frederick Holman, Josselyn, Samuel Reed, and Frederick Sykes.

The PRL&PC also operated Portland streetcars, for instance the one that went up to Council Crest Park, on an alarming 12 percent grade, beginning in 1906.

References

  1. Railroad Commision of Oregon, First Annual Report of the Railroad Commission to the Governor, Salem: Duniway State Printer, 1907. p 156.