Women's History Month Meeting
- Date: Sunday, March 4, 2012
- Time: 6:30pm until 9:30pm
- Location: In Other Words 14 NE Killingsworth, Portland, OR 97217
- Jump to this event's wiki page, edit it, discuss it or return to the events page.
- March is women’s history month (or herstory, though unless “history” literally comes from “his story,” “herstory” is just a pun).
So let’s talk about women’s history and feminist history! 2012 is the one hundredth anniversary of women’s suffrage in the state of Oregon.
The local author Ruth Tenzer Feldman has just got her YA novel The Blue Thread published this month, and it’s available at bookstores.
The protagonist is a Jewish teen living in 1912 Portland who travels back to Biblical times, when the daughters of Zelosaphad (or whatever his name is) ask Moses to let them own property. It’s a fun novel, even if you aren’t into Judeo-Xian stuff. (Full disclosure: I was one of the developmental editors. –Susan)
FYI, the photo on the left is of a once-popular American author, Gertrude Atherton, who wrote a fairly gothic novel called The Californians, among other titles.