Chaplains Occupy Thanksgiving PDX
- Date: Thursday, Nov. 24
- Time: Noon until 7 p.m
- Location: Wallace Park, Northwest Portland (Please RSVP)
- Jump to this event's wiki page, edit it, discuss it or return to the events page.
Our invitation to #OccupyThanksgivingPDX
- We are occupying Thanksgiving Day.
We occupy it because:
- This is a quintessentially American holiday, and is an important part of American cultural narratives.
- This is also a holiday that commemorates the fact that the European colonizers began their expansive ambitions and conquest and genocide of the First Nations, in the name of "freedom" -- something this holiday tends to sugar-coat.
- On this day, there are many -- and growing number of -- Portlanders who are unhoused and, since most of other Portlanders have a privilege of being able to stay home, take a day off, and spend time with family, they are left outside often with no place to go and nothing to eat. We recognize this social inequity.
- Today, Thanksgiving Day is the official beginning of the "Holiday Season," which is essentially an orgy of consumerism orchestrated by the top 1%. Many publicly-traded big corporations count on this season, and the Fourth Quarter earnings report affects share prices significantly.
- We occupy this day to reclaim the Thanksgiving as a time for community, sharing, and abundance.
When: Thursday, Nov. 24 -- The festivities run from noon until 7 p.m.; everyone is welcome to participate in part or all of this event.
Where: In the close-in Northwest Portland with a good public transit and bicycle greenway access. Please RSVP for location.
What: Lunch and dinner, potluck style; open-mic music and spoken words; community discussions on various topics; games; and the Thanksgiving General Assembly. But mostly a fun exercise where people who are new to the Occupy movement can learn how to participate in a GA, or organize their own GAs.
Tell your friends about this. #ChaplainsOccupyPDX Interfaith Guild of Chaplains
More details with this update on Nov. 21
Here is a direct link to RSVP form:
RSVP Form Click Here
RSVP Form Click Here more information