Dirty Queer 5 Year Anniversary!
- Date: Friday, January 13, 2012
- Time: 6:00pm until 9:00pm
- Location: In Other Words 14 NE Killingsworth, Portland, OR 97217
- Jump to this event's wiki page, edit it, discuss it or return to the events page.
- It's our anniversary!!!
Five beautiful, sexy, smart, brave, loving, creative, resourceful years ... and many more to come.
- We've got a special format for the anniversary celebration
- 6-6:30 Mingling, treats and other surprises (to be announced soon!)
- 6:30-7:30 Open mic, part one
- 7:30-8 Intermission (ditto on the treats and surprises)
- 8-9 Open mic, part two
Sign-ups will start at 5:30, and I *highly* encourage you to use not only your words, but also your dance moves, your improv, your gender performance, your secret magic skills and more.
C'mon Portland, show me what you've got hidden under those layers of creativity and perversion ...
- We had over 200 people last year for the anniversary so come early if you want to sit down!
If you have accessibility needs around seating, please contact IOW directly ahead of time to make arrangements. (more accessibility info below.)
- We'll have tasty treats at intermission from local companies.
We're still seeking donations so please get in touch if you have suggestions, or even better, solicit them directly and send the confirmation info my way. We fall under the 501c3 umbrella for IOW, so donations are a tax write off.
And, if you'd like to feed your fellow freaks, show off your hot(pad) skills, or otherwise tempt the taste buds of a roomful of dirty queers, please feel free to bring along some food to share. All food will be served ahead of time and at intermission, and we've no way to heat or cool it, so keep that in mind, please. (Labeling things as to ingredients would also be cool.)
- Door prizes from
- Good Margot
- Alicia Shaffer from Fancy!
- and more coming soon!
>> Sex Q&A: Mabel Hampton
>> Boot Blacking by Kyle Minnie Minstrel
>> Chair Massage from Aster Wolfe
>> Dirty Queer buttons and 'Stir the Juice' poetry books for sale
As always, the money from the door at dirty queer goes to support "In Other Words" - the nation's last surviving non-profit feminist bookstore in the united states. show your support for this vital resource center however you can, and get involved!
Sign-ups for the open mic will be first come, first serve, as always...
We may not be able to get to everyone on the list if we run out of time. 5 mins per person unless you get specific permission from me for a longer time slot.
- Also in January
- Jan 6th: Homomentum is a monthly queer cabaret showcasing queer dance, drag, burlesque & performance-art, with tons of glitter and ridiculousness at every turn!
This month's theme: Myths & Legends, a queer-fabulous journey of epic tales re-imagined through drag, dance, burlesque, performance-art and camp!
And of course as always there will be audience participation, MC Max Voltage, prizes, hilarity, glitter & debauchery!!
- The Fez Ballroom, 316 SW 11th Ave, 7pm Doors, 8pm Show. $5-10 Sliding Scale, 21+, Wheel-Chair Accessible.
- More info
For more info on dirty queer, including podcasts (several years are available and the rest are currently being archived until we can find better hosting) from previous shows, see our website:
- No steps to the door, or inside the building
- Slight ramp between the two areas of the building
- Approx 3' width for the entrance
- Gender neutral bathroom (not sure about wheelchair access to the bathroom - it's wide, but there is a 90 degree turn from hallway to room, and no rail)
- Ramp to the stage
- sturdy folding chairs and some couches
- ASL interpretation can be arranged for w/ a request from Deaf/HOH person to DHOR (dhor.blogspot.com) and enough advance notice