Jobs with Justice Solidarity Calendar – October 2011
A wiki calendar until we can get this up: website calendar
The idea is to list all the information that is shared at our monthly Steering Committee—now it’s all here in one place, for folks to use in their union newsletters, church bulletins, email lists, or just to stick up on the fridge. (Apologies in advance for any accidental omissions; please check with event organizers to confirm any details, or call JwJ 503-236-5573.) For more information or to make an online donation please visit http://JwJpdx.org
Also, follow us on twitter and facebook if you’re into that kind of thing!
- Twitter: http://twitter.com/JwJpdx,
- Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Portland-Jobs-with-Justice/134450800882
Dear JWJ supporters, every week is a step forward in the struggle, just last Saturday we crossed the OR-WA Interstate Bridge on I-5, something never heard of before. More than 500 people representing labor, community and faith groups and organizations including the Occupy Portland Movement marched through the bridge connecting our communities and our struggles and make a real connection between Portland Rising and Vancouver Rising with one strong voice for “Good Jobs For All! No Cuts!”
And here we want to announce more opportunities to continue participating in the struggle, mark your calendars and:
- Join the Labor March to support
- Occupy Portland
- Wednesday, Oct. 26 at 5 pm Director Park (SW Park & Yamhill),
sponsors: Oregon AFL-CIO, Jobs with Justice, AFSCME, Laborers 483 and more.
On October 6th, Occupy Portland began with thousands taking to the streets in downtown Portland to protest economic inequality, the scapegoating of working people, the vilification of labor unions, the exploitation of the unemployed and underemployed, and the corporate takeover of our communities. LABOR won't stand for corporatization of our communities - not on Wall Street and not in the City of Portland! GOOD jobs, NOT CUTS!
More actions/events coming up:
Tuesday October 25th, from 2 to 5 pm. Mailing Party: We’re sending out our fall fundraising letter! Join us at the JwJ office, 6025 E Burnside. Have fun stuffing envelopes and chatting with your JwJ friends. We provide snacks and fun people to talk with.
Friday, October 28th, noon to 1:30pm at Pioneer Courthouse Square pink martini presents ‘this land is our land, a free concert / super rally & community sing-a-long in solidarity with Occupy wall street / Occupy Portland Movements
Saturday, October 29th, 9:45am. Rally, at 3782 SE Hawthorne's Wells Fargo Bank. National Day of Action against the Private Prison Industry. Tell Wells Fargo to dump GEO Group and Corrections Corporation of America’s prison stock and invest in humanity.
Monday, November 7th, 7pm. St. Luke’s Lutheran Church (6835 SW 46th Avenue, Portland) “Food Sovereignty & the Roots of Migration” Defending Corn and Culture in Oaxaca. Eleazar Garcia Sustainable Agriculture Expert from CEDICAM will speak.
Rallies to Save Saturday Delivery & America’s Postal Service, Support Letter Carriers at one, two, three or all the rallies:
- Monday, Nov. 7th, 7:30- 8 am, Creston Station, 5010 SE Foster (@ Powell)
- Tuesday, Nov. 8th, 7:30- 8 am, Piedmont/ MLK Jr PO, 630 NE Killingsworth (@ 6th)
- Wednesday, Nov. 9th, 7:30- 8 am, Rose City Station, 2425 NE 50th (@ Sandy)
- Thursday, Nov. 10th, 6:30 – 7 am, University Station, 1505 SW 6th (@ Clay)
For more info call 503 – 493 - 5903
October Full Mobilization action:
- Saturday, October 22nd, 11am. Portland and Vancouver Rising, March from Portland to Vancouver. Meet at the field just off of I-5 Exit 308 to Jantzen Beach to march across the I-5 Bridge, then rally at Esther Short Park in Vancouver. Connect the communities; connect the struggles for GOOD JOBS FOR ALL, NO CUTS! For more info call JWJ 503 236-5573 or WWW.jwjpdx.org
October Hot List actions:
- Wednesday, October 12th, 5pm. Rally in defense of education. Arne Duncan, the Secretary of the US Department of Education is coming to the Oregon Convention Center. Along with parents and educators, we want to protest the policies he has helped drive that hurt teachers and pave the way to privatization of public schools.
Saturday, October 15th, 1pm. Rally, march and forum, 10th anniversary Afghan invasion, in Shemanski Park (South Park Blocks at Salmon St), and a march at 1:30 PM, at 2:30 PM forum at First Unitarian Church.
Saturday, October 29th, Forum in defense of the public sector unions; there will be speakers representing the different struggles in the public sector unions. More details to come
Upcoming JwJ Committee Meetings:
- Wednesday, October 12th, 5:30pm, Economic Crisis Committee 6025 E Burnside
- Monday, October 17th, 5:30pm Executive Committee 6025 E. Burnside
- Tuesday, October 18th, 6 pm, Health Care Committee 6025 E Burnside
- Wednesday, October 26, 12pm, Faith-Labor Committee 6025 E. Burnside
- Wednesday, October 26, 6pm, Global Justice Committee 6025 E. Burnside
- Monday, November 7th, 5:30 pm, Steering Committee 6025 E. Burnside
Other Upcoming Actions:
'Thursday, October 6th, 12:00 noon. Occupy Portland! General assembly starts at noon. Jobs with Justice/Labor Contingent Meet up at 2pm. At the Japanese American Historical Plaza - just North of the Burnside Bridge in Waterfront Park (NW Couch and Naito). The march should start at 2:30pm.
Monday, October 17th, at 7pm, Vancouver City Hall action. UNITE HERE’s Vancouver Hilton campaign continues. This property is owned by the City of Vancouver. The UNITE HERE campaign for a fair contract will have people speaking at the City Council meeting. Housekeepers are below poverty rates and hotel workers make less that the Portland’s, and with a lousy health care coverage.
Monday, October 10th at noon, Rally against pending Free Trade Agreements outside Rep. Blumenauer's office, 729 NE Oregon. Obama introduced them on Monday under fast track. They will increase the trade deficit and send jobs overseas. Thank Blumenauer for voting against the Colombia FTA but ask him to do the same with the Korea and Panama. Call him at 1-800-718-1008 to fight against it.
Saturday, October 29th, 10am. National Day of Action against the Private Prison Industry. Tell Wells Fargo to dump GEO Group and Corrections Corporation of America’s prison stock and invest in humanity. Rally place to be announced soon.
Thursday, October 13th, 7-9 pm at First Unitarian Church. Alliance For Democracy and Economic Justice Action Group of the First Unitarian are presenting the Report on Communities of Color in Multnomah County addressing racial inequities.
We are Oregon Proposal to have JWJ activists w/ We Are Oregon to reach out to neighborhoods or organizations. On October 18th and 19th JwJ activists will go door to door to talk to JwJ pledgers who are not currently active and invite them to get involved in JwJ and We Are Oregon. We Are Oregon is organizing around many issues in North Portland. 3 hours: orientation on 1:1 conversations, then canvass. for more information or to get involved, call Lorene Scheer at 503 922-3331
October 6th to November 9th, Voices in Action: Human Rights on Film Festival – check the Portland Alliance for more info.
Verizon: The struggle continues!!!, We need folks to leaflet Verizon stores (Downtown, Mall 205 and Gresham) on Wednesday and Saturdays!!! And we're also leafleting Apple stores where the i-phone is being sold (we are targeting Apple stores just to let costumers know about Verizon and to choose a different carrier).
45,000 Verizon workers are fighting for a fair contract and to preserve the middle class and the American Dream in the Northeast. If wealthy corporations like Verizon continue to outsource jobs and hold down worker wages, there is no hope for an economic recovery. This is why our fight is your fight and why your support is so important. Join us as we support workers by leafleting at Verizon Wireless stores to get our message out, please sign up for a two hour shift by calling JWJ at 503-236-5573 Stand with Workers, Not Rich CEOs.
Hope to see you in one or many of these important actions.