Keep Alive the Dream
- Date: Mon, January 16, 2012
- Time: 11:00am-6:00pm
- Location: 7600 NE Glisan, Portland OR, 97213
- Jump to this event's wiki page, edit it, discuss it or return to the events page.
The 27th annual “Keep Alive the Dream” offers an exhilarating renewal of the human spirit. The Life and Work of Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., one of the most renowned, revered, and respected citizens the world has ever known, is celebrated in this powerful and diverse tribute. It will leave a footprint on your heart. Don’t miss it.
”Keep Alive the Dream” is recognized regionally and nationally as one of the finest community-based celebrations in the U.S. After more than a quarter century of consecutive commemorations, World Arts Foundation, Inc. humbly attempts to give voice to the heritage of common citizens’ struggle for peace, justice, civil rights, and human dignity.
In addition to a full day of voices, music, and historic purpose, a robust Dreamers Village and Bazaar is featured. A full range of vendors will present: arts, crafts, services, educational materials, cuisine, photographs, films, and a cultural-rich network of arts and education innovations.
The entire program will be simulcast live on Portland Community Media (11:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m., Ch.11); Portland Public Schools Television Services (Ch.28, TBC); and KBOO Radio (90.7 FM world wide web).
- $5.00 donation or five cans of non-perishable food to be given to local food banks.
- Invited guests
- DaNell Daymon & Greater Works Chorale (Seattle, WA), Derrick McDuffy and Chosen Generation,, Linda Hornbuckle, Janice Scroggins, Reggie Houston, No Kidding Choir, Inspirational Sounds (Eugene, OR), Gospel Music Workshop of America (Portland/Vancouver Chapters); city, county, and state officials, student choirs from Portland Public Schools... and the nationally acclaimed Jefferson Dancers.
- Lifetime Achievement Awards
- Individuals and organizations are recognized for exemplary service. They have distinguished themselves, and have “gone the extra mile” to give the greater Portland metropolitan community a higher quality of life. The Mayor of Portland is featured as a presenter of the beautifully framed awards.
- Portland Public Schools, Portland Association of Teachers, Oregon Education Association, City of Portland , Providence Health & Services, Enterprise Rent-A-Car, Concordia University, Portland General Electric, African American Chamber of Commerce, KBOO Radio, The Oregonian (90.7 FM), TriMet, Portland Community Media & Television Services (Portland Public Schools).