Meetup Notes

From PortlandWiki
Revision as of 10:41, 8 August 2011 by Camior (Talk | contribs) (change link)

Jump to: navigation, search

Meetup To-Do list and other on-going volunteer work

WikiWednesday Meetup 8/3/11

At The Mezz (Whole Foods NW Couch/12th). In attendance: Matthew, Julie, Mark, Sylvia. Note taker: Sylvia

Informal Agenda:

  • PortlandWiki features
a) Matthew and Mark discussed creating templates for people on venue pages.
b) Mark and Matthew looked at different extensions to possibly pull in javascript.
c) Mark and Matthew talked about Matthew's vision for content curation on at least the main page.
  • Survey update
a) Julie and Sylvia reviewed the responses from the PW survey sent out to persons on the PW email list.
b) Julie and Sylvia began work on a follow up survey by focusing on themes and overlapping concerns to gain additional and specific feedback from other contributors and readers.
c) Julie will send out a draft of the new survey in the next couple of days.
d) Sylvia will begin prepping for the distribution of the follow-up survey to all persons who created a login account on PW, plus invitations through PW's social media accounts.
  • PortlandWiki outreach
a) Dave reported via email that he attended a meet up for the Portland Young Workers, part of a campaign called Young Emerging Labor Leaders (YELL), organized by Working America. They seemed pretty receptive to the idea of improving their use of social media and other web-based technology. It may be possible that we can introduce wiki in general, PortlandWiki in particular, and the idea of how beneficial tools like wiki can be for organizing.
b) Dave will focus on outreach work for the next few weeks.
  • For the next PW meet-up
a) Review status of the follow up survey
b) Suggestions?


WikiWednesday Meetup 7/27/11

At The Mezz (Whole Foods NW Couch/12th). In attendance: Matthew, Julie, Mark, Sylvia. Note taker: Sylvia

Informal Agenda:

  • Review preliminary results from PortlandWiki (PW) survey.
a) As of last night we received 6 responses, plus 2 more today.
b) We discussed some of the overlapping concerns and themes.
c) Thanks to Julie for pulling this together!
d) Julie and Sylvia will follow up with Kotra to plan sending it out to more people to increase participation and gain additional feedback about PortlandWiki.
  • PortlandWiki front page
a) Matthew is still trying to figure out how a skin could be done to create a friendlier and more modern look. Mark reviewed a couple of skins on other mediawiki sites.
b) Matthew and Kotra are working to create a bolder search bar.
c) In addition, Matthew will try to determine how to move the css from the bottom to the top of the page to recognize who worked on a page.
  • Community Leadership Summit and PW
a) Matthew and Mark discussed their experiences at the CLS the past weekend.
b) Matthew held two sessions on PortlandWiki and received good questions and feedback. He'll put his summit feedback on the wiki soon.
  • Creating structure for future meet ups
a) A few folks have suggested we create more structure for these meetings that will allow for open discussion, focused planning and decision-making, and collaborative online work.
b) Among the suggestions: keep Wed meet ups to 1 hr for discussion then begin to determine collaborative work: red link pages; pages needing more content (put out calls?)
c) Each week a volunteer will take notes, send them to the email list and post them on PW.
d) Sylvia suggested we also consider drafting simple meeting agendas.
e) Julie suggested that we write 3 topics on wiki that we want to talk about at the next mtg.
  • Other suggestions
a) Mark suggested we have a PW flyer to put out at events; maybe print more stickers, smaller ones.
b) Matthew and Mark discussed getting two-sided PW business cards (Vistaprint?), perhaps one side with the PW website then space to write in the name of a page when we discuss the site with someone.
c) Julie reminded us that we still need to create badges for PW to acknowledge the work of contributors.
d) Matthew suggested we consider getting durable, acrylic press badges.
  • For the next meet-up
a) Review the additional survey results and determine next steps, i.e., content analysis, ranking of most frequent results, follow up survey to narrow down PW priorities.
b) Mark and Matthew will report back on their attendance at OSCON as reps of PW.