As printed originally in the Oregonian, November 11, 1921, origin of Oatman Street's name.
Harrison B. Oatman, for whom Oatman street is named, was born in New York, February 25, 1826. After his marriage in 1847 he removed to Des Moines, Ia., and in 1853, with his brother, Harvey B. Oatman, and their families, came to Oregon and took 640 acres of donation land in the Rogue River valley.
Harrison B. Oatman remained in the Rogue River valley for 14 years being part owner of the “49″ Mining company in southern Oregon and also running the first store in Phoenix, Or. In 1855 he took part in the first Indian encounter that led to the greatest Indian war ever waged on the Pacific coast. He was the only survivor of the three men attacked and came out of the skirmish unhurt.
After enlisting as a volunteer Mr. Oatman became a lieutenant in the war of the rebellion and acquitted himself with considerable honor.
In 1867 he settled with his family in Portland after being discharged from the army. A partnership in the grocery business was arranged between him and Hon. Van DeLashmutt. In 1872 these two men started a brokerage and real estate venture.
There are four children still surviving, three of whom are sons.