- Moving beyond the “Wall Street model of human liberty.”
The ever expanding burdens thrown onto the backs of working people are not only unreasonable, oppressive and unfair, these burdens have grown too big for working people to shoulder. In response, Occupy Portland's Labor Outreach Committee has launched a Peoples’ Assembly Organizing Committee tasked with organizing, planning and facilitating the democratic development of a peoples’ budget centered on democratically addressing the primary economic interests of ordinary working people.
Occupy Portland’s Labor Solidarity Committee invites all people to join us in a Community Assembly to create a people’s budget that works for all of us. Our intention is to launch a campaign and action plan to achieve a city budget and spending proposal that addresses the primary concerns we all share, such as jobs, no cuts to services, housing, transportation, health care, education, etc. We plan to outreach to labor unions, community groups, Occupy, and the broader 99% to join us in a fightback against the planned city cuts to essential services, while putting forth a budget for the 99%.
Why do some observers compare the collapse of neoliberal capitalism to the collapse of the Soviet Union?
“The collapse of the Soviet system was a pretty extraordinary event, and we are currently experiencing something similar in the developed world, without fully realizing what’s happening.”
- Main Info Page
- Facebook Pages
- Downloadable Flyers
- ↑ George Soros on the Coming U.S. Class War
Links to Documents
- (Short version.)
- (Long version -- draft.)
- (Shorter, updated list.)
- (Fuller list.)
- This document contains DRAFT proposals that began with suggestions and ideas that emerged during inaugural meeting to plan for a Community Assembly Meeting for a People’s Budget, which took place on Thursday, January 26, 2012 in Portland, Oregon.
Group Homepage: http://groups.google.com/group/peoples-assembly
Group Email: peoples-assembly -AT- googlegroups -DOT- com
Info Page on PortlandGeneralAssembly.org: Community Assembly to Create a People’s Budget
Attend Our Meetups!
- Join our discussion list -- http://groups.google.com/group/peoples-assembly
Please connect with us through our mailing list to receive all time/date/location updates.
Past Events / Meetings
- A Budget for the Rest of Us
- Who: Occupy Portland’s Labor Solidarity Committee
- What: Strategy Session
- When: Thursday, January 26, 2012 at 7:00 p.m.
- Where: Oregon Fair Trade Campaign Office
- Address: 310 SW 4th Ave., Suite 436, Downtown Portland
In addition to our group discussion list, a number of our wiki pages use the possessive of peoples, as in indigenous peoples. It's likely, however, that the possessive of people, as in We the People, will appear more often in the discussions we have and in the documents we craft.