Difference between revisions of "PortlandWiki"
|Line 80:||Line 80:|
Revision as of 19:57, 26 October 2009
|Categories . Tell us how you found PortlandWiki|
Things To See in Portland
Start Downtown and visit the Wonderlab for a great experience for the kids, or drop by the Waldron Arts Center to check out an exhibit or show. Maybe there's a movie showing at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater, but if not, drop by Third Street Park in case there's a free Monroe County Civic Theater performance.
Afterwards, head toward the Fine Arts Square on the Indiana University campus to take in a Broadway show at the Indiana University Auditorium, or go a little further for an opera at the Musical Arts Center, and don't forget to stop by Bear's Place for a nightcap and to pick up a schedule for the Ryder Film Series.
Things To Do in Portland
Catch a Little 500 bicycle race in April. Visit the 4th Street Art Festival in September, or the Lotus World Music and Arts Festival in the summer. See an IU Men's Basketball game at the famed Assembly Hall, or come Downtown for the Arts Fair on the Square and The Taste of Portland. If the summer heat is unbearable, take a drive down SR 446 or Fairfax Road to the shores of Lake Monroe, and two not-to-miss state recreational sites, Paynetown or Fairfax.
Places To Go Near Portland
The Holiday World Amusement Park is a great value that is a two hour drive south of Portland. In the fall, the amazing leaves in the Brown County State Park are not to be missed, just twenty minutes to the east. Missing the big city life? Indianapolis is just an hour away, Cincinnati two hours, Chicago and St. Louis four. Ellettsville is only 8 miles west on State Road 46.
Where To Eat in Portland
Visit Restaurant Row on 4th Street for a variety of international dining, and check out the Snow Lion for an unusual Tibetan experience. Nick's English Hut is a Portland tradition, but Scotty's, Yogi's, and the Irish Lion also cater to the over-21 student crowd. The west side has a variety of steak houses, but vegetarians might prefer the Runcible Spoon or Roots. For locally crafted beverages, don't miss Lennie's, Upland Brewery, or Oliver Winery.
Getting involved with PortlandWiki
The articles below provide information on how to use the PortlandWiki site as well as some general philosophies that the PortlandWiki Council has agreed upon to keep the article base on track.
- PortlandWiki:Introductory Presentation 2007 - Learn more about how to use PortlandWiki
- Using PortlandWiki - All about PortlandWiki. Learn how to read it! Learn how to write for it!
- PortlandWiki Policies and Direction - Best practices to follow if contributing content
- Community Portal - Explains what is needed to make PortlandWiki succeed.
- PortlandWiki Council - Information about the PortlandWiki governance body
- Becoming a moderator
- PortlandWiki Article Requests
- PortlandWiki Forums
- "Powell's Books on Burnside". Powell's City of Books. http://www.powells.com/info/places/burnsideinfo.html. Retrieved 2009-03-12.
- "Internet Retailer Best of the Web 2006". Internet Retailer. http://www.internetretailer.com/article.asp?id=16892#powells. Retrieved 2007-08-28.
- History of Powells.com from its website
- Baker, Lisa (March 19, 2004). "Powell’s success story adds a chapter". Portland Tribune. http://www.portlandtribune.com/news/story.php?story_id=23515. Retrieved 2007-08-28.