In order to more fairly share financial responsibility for the community resource that is PortlandWiki, it has been proposed that multiple people have the ability to pay for server costs and other essential expenses required for the daily operation of PortlandWiki.
- PortlandWiki is a community resource which aspires to be fully owned by the Portland community, and so responsibility for the financial upkeep of PortlandWiki should be shared by the community, or at least a broader segment of it.
- Should the one individual currently paying for PortlandWiki's upkeep suddenly become incapacitated, it would be difficult (though perhaps not impossible) to keep PortlandWiki up without significant downtime.
- The more people who have access/ownership over PortlandWiki funds, the more potential there may be for abuse. (this is not anticipated to be a problem if only a very few trusted individuals are allowed access)
- prepaid debit card with multiple owners (possible?)
- joint bank or credit union account (requires EIN)
- in the name of a registered nonprofit organization
- in the name of a community or volunteer group
- in the name of a business
- individual cash or check reimbursements to one paying individual (a temporary solution, as the one paying individual would retain full responsibility)
Important questions to answer
- What are the currently monthly costs for PortlandWiki?
- When is initial reimbursement/revenue needed by (how long can we wait before revenue comes in)?
- What is the amount needed to finish this year?