Difference between revisions of "PortlandWiki:Meetups"
|Line 70:||Line 70:|
=== Saturday ===
=== Saturday ===
* Saturday Sessions
* Saturday Sessions
Revision as of 19:43, 29 April 2011
PortlandWiki has weekly "edit party" meetups, sometimes known as "Weekly Wiki Workouts." The idea is to give PortlandWiki's contributors a chance to get together in a physical location to discuss new or ongoing projects, contribute content to PortlandWiki, and have fun.
Latest Breaking News
PortlandWiki admins, contributors, sympathizers and other fellow travelers currently meet twice a week at the following venues:
- Powell's Technical Books (AKA: Powell's Books Building 2) (Mondays).
- Backspace, Ace Hotel, The MEZZ or other fine, upstanding Portland venues (WikiWednesdays).
About PortlandWiki's Weekly Wiki Workouts
PortlandWiki's weekly "edit parties" are free, open to everyone, and casual. They're a great chance to meet the diverse group of people who edit PortlandWiki and experience the fun of collaborating in person on a wiki. There are always friendly wiki experts willing to lend a hand and answer questions. Participation is casual, you can pick a topic to write about if you want, or you can just chat with some wiki geeks over some food and drinks.
If PortlandWiki's current meetup days don't work for your schedule, start your own PortlandWiki meetup and choose any day you like. Feel free to post your PortlandWiki meetup schedule here or start a new page about them!
Every Monday and Wednesday at about 6:30-ish to whenever. It's casual.
Please see PortlandWiki's Monday Meets page for details on our Monday Meetups.
Please see PortlandWiki's WikiWednesday page for details on our Wednesday Meetups.
Currently we're alternating between the following two locations:
- Our Monday Meetups happen at Powell's Technical Books, 40 NW 10th Avenue, on the corner of NW 10th Avenue & NW Couch Street. (This is Powell's Tech's new location.)
- Our Wednesday Meetups happen at various locations. Check out the WikiWednesday page for details.
At Powell's Technical Bookstore just look for us at one of the little tables near the store's entrance.
At other locations, look for geeky-looking folks with laptops. Sometimes there's lots to choose from. For folks that don't recognize the "regulars," we don't yet have a great way for you to find us. For now, we usually are at the first table you get to when entering, or nearby. Just ask if we're here for PortlandWiki!
Expanding Meetup Options
Since PortlandWiki's inception a small group of PortlandWiki administrators and other interested people have gathered each Monday in a meetup we've called our "Monday Meets." As PortlandWiki continues to expand and bring in new contributors, it's become apparent that also expanding meetup options is an increasingly good idea. We've also recognized that adding additional venues is also necessary.
- Mark Dilley, one of the most frequent attendees, can no longer meet on Mondays.
- Business at Blitz Pearl growing, which is good for the folks running Blitz, but means louder and more "sporty" television background noise.
- We may want to sometimes meet on the East side, for the convenience of eastsiders.
- We may be missing other people who cannot attend on Mondays.
Below are some meetup names put here for your consideration, rejection and suggested alternatives. Obviously some of these are not serious. Some of us get a little carried away.
- Monday Meets (This is an already established weekly meetup name, but you can suggest alternatives if you like.)
- Tuesday Twaddlers
- Tuesday Talks
- Thursday Thuggz
- Thursday Things
- Friday Fiddlers
- FrankenWiki Fridays
- Saturday Sessions
Meetup Venues & Aspiring Meetup Venues
- The MEZZ on the 2nd floor mezzanine inside Whole Foods Market in the Pearl. (NW 12th Avenue & West Burnside Street)
- Rocco's Pizza (SW 10th Avenue & SW Oak Street)
- Ringlers Annex (SW 13th Avenue & SW Stark Street)
- Powell's Technical Books (New location at NW 10th Avenue and NW Couch Street.)
- Red and Black Cafe (SE Oak Street & SE 12th Avenue) - wifi sketchy
- Beulahland (NE 28th Avenue & NE Couch Street) (Allow minors?)
- Lucky Labrador (SE Hawthorne Boulevard, between SE 9th Avenue & SE 10th Avenue) (Allow minors?)
- Laurelthirst Pub (NE Glisan Street & NE 30th Avenue) (Allow minors?)
- free wifi
- quiet enough to hold conversations
- ability to find a table or two (not too crowded)
- food options or ability to bring in food
- no blaring tv
- close in
- minors able to get in
- wheelchair accessible
- parking available