Domains already Owned
Does anyone in the charter have any domain names they would like to offer? Let's write some down.
- blueastronaut.com --Matthew (talk) 13:59, 2 May 2011 (PDT)
- bridgingminds.com --Matthew (talk) 13:59, 2 May 2011 (PDT)
- readyto.be --Matthew (talk) 13:59, 2 May 2011 (PDT)
com--Matthew (talk) 13:59, 2 May 2011 (PDT)
- shortpill.com --Matthew (talk) 13:59, 2 May 2011 (PDT)
- spycloud.com --Matthew (talk) 13:59, 2 May 2011 (PDT)
- squarelove.com --Matthew (talk) 13:59, 2 May 2011 (PDT)
- thoughtlounge.com --Matthew (talk) 13:59, 2 May 2011 (PDT)
Dave's Available Domains
- Telecafe Wiki
- Dave's available domains last update: 12:29, 6 May 2011 (PDT)
This is great! Thanks for kicking it off, Matthew. Everything looks awesome to me except for the name "Pikia". I get that it's a combination of "Piki" and "Wikia" and that is totally how I'm thinking of the business too, but I'm thinking that it's too similar to Wikia to be used as an actual name. I think something that doesn't appear to ride the coattails of another company, even though that's totally not the intention, would be best; I think we'd be more credible with a name that's unmistakably unique and independent. Just my take.
Coming up with a good business name is always a headache though because so much rides on it. So I was thinking we could all use this space to brainstorm names, as like a communal pool of ideas, some good, most bad. So I'm not just some jerk who critiques and doesn't offer alternatives, I'll kick it off with my best shitty ideas. -kotra (talk) 04:52, 21 April 2011 (UTC)
Early logo concepts using Pikia were stored elsewhere.
(† = domains available)
- Bridging Minds †
- Pikia †
- Piki Works
- Rose Wiki Works
- Piki Studios
- Wiki Bridges
- Portland Development
- The Rose Factory
- The Rose Foundry
- Humans Use Wikis Ltd.
- Stumptown Foundry
- Wiki Mind
- Wiki Brain
- Smart Wiki
- Shiny Wiki
- Civic Wikis Inc.
- Community Wikis Inc.
- Wikis For Humans Ltd.
- Wikismiths LLC
- Portland Collaboratories
- Portland Collaboratory
- Portland Portal
- Wiki & Cloud †
- Trade / Labor Unions
- Medium / Large Companies
- Federal/State/Local governments
- Enterprise / Knowledge Management
- Science / National Laboratories
Looks like there are two running candidates. We have domain names for both of them:
- Simple easy to remember
- Wide meaning allows for growth
- Fun, frienly
- Somewhat generic
- may be too vague
- Very close to scientific name
- Elaborate pronunciation makes it seem more powerful
- Wider meaning allows for it to be more than just a wiki vendor
- Sounds wierd, or unfamiliar
- Hard to say, Not very catchy
- Geeky, weird to consumers
- Friendly sounding
- Wikia-sounding, related to Portland Wiki
- Has a story behind the name (from pet name of Portland Wiki, Piki. + 'A' for associates)
- Name somewhat limit to wiki products only
- May seem too cute to enterprise, industrial companies
- Has no meaning
Final Temporary Name
Looks like the final name, that will be used for now for business development is Telecafe.org.
This domain is already owned by David. A splash screen without contact info has been setup.
As part of talking to prospective clients, we will want to use PortlandWiki.org as an example of the kind of quality work we can do. Presently the idea is that Piki is just one type of service we offer. We can do wikis, but also other knowledge management solutions.
In any event any formal publishing will need to reference PortlandWiki.org, for example on the Geotropi sales web site, and business cards for entrepreneurial networking.
- A PortlandWiki company
- From the makers of PortlandWiki
- In affiliation with PortlandWiki
Time line moved to main pikia page