United States Custom House
The United States Custom House is a U.S. Federal building built in 1901. The U.S. Federal Government's General Services Administration (GSA) is planning on auctioning it off  through their Real Property Disposal Office. Bids open on Tuesday, May 25, 2010. The Real Property Disposal Office's "suggested opening bid" is $2,500,000.
After sitting vacant for years, Portland's U.S. Custom House is on the GSA's auction block. Now Portlandians have a choice to make:
- 1. continue lamely staring at the tops of our muddy shoes in regret for failing to come up with a viable plan to make good use of this architectural treasure, or
- 2. come up with a wonderful idea and a coherent plan to turn your brainstorm into reality.
What is YOUR fantastic idea for Portland's Custom House? (Please list and describe your own idea, or improve upon one of the ideas featured below.)
For television shows like Leverage or other Hollywood drivel.
To round out the list of 510 other boutique hotels that Google Maps locates in or near Portland.
An ideal public-private partnership (PPP) showcase, even though this idea apparently went nowhere the last time it was floated.
For children of Portland's overly privileged, and/or their pets.
A theatrical showcase for a long-running series of one-act farcical comedies billed as Tragedy At The Commons.
A venue where Apple product aficionados can sidle up to the iSubGenius bar, whip out their iGadgets and affectionately iStroke them.
Bicycle Repair Shop
For really awesome vintage bicycles.
Giant, Architecturally Superior Coffee House
Maybe we can get the Last Poets to perform at the grand opening.
Museum of Contemporary Art
A publicly-owned Museum of Contemporary Art, self-funded by admissions, revenue operations (gift shops, event rental) and donations. The collection could start with Jordon Schnitzer's contemporary art collection (see A chat with Jordan Schnitzer and the City of Portland's art collection, as well as other works of contemporary art to be loaned, donated or otherwise acquired in the future.
- U.S. Custom House, Portland, OR: Building Overview
- Portland Custom House - Sale Type: Online Auction - Opening Date: 05/25/2010 09:00:00 PDT
- Detailed Property Information
- U.S. Custom House tour
- Someone with a vision should take on future of Portland's U.S. Custom House