Welcome to The Portland Civic Wiki. This is an unofficial wiki of Portland. This wiki is meant to help enable the citizens of the Portland Metropolitan Area be able to better connect, take part in, and improve their communities. So welcome; poke around, edit, try some stuff out, and have fun. Thanks. Michael
Nice work on this! Best, MarkDilley
- Thanks! It's not necessarily final, so let me know if you have any suggestions for improvement. -Kotra 02:21, 5 November 2009 (UTC)
Thanks for the encouragement, Kotra! I'll probably be adding a lot of historical details when I get the time... the sort of stuff that might be a little too specific for Wikipedia. If I'm available on Jan. 6, I'll try and come to the Wiki Wednesdays! Khris.soden (talk) 01:59, 26 December 2009 (UTC)
Can you provide advice regarding categories? I've been wanting to develop that tag, but I'm not very familiar with Wikis. Specifically, I'd like to include neighborhoods into a category, but I don't know how.
- Actually, I think I figured it out. Any advice would still be appreciated!
- Ok cool Khris! Here's my reply I wrote already, in case you find it useful. Categories are sort of confusing at first but simple once you figure them out (I've actually been figuring them out just today, making a few mistakes by making unnecessary redirects and such as you might have noticed). Basically, all you have to do is add [[Category:Foo]] (where "Foo" is anything you want) to a page, and the wiki places the page into that category, "Foo" in this case. Once you've saved your change, you can then click the category link at the bottom of the page (labeled "Foo") to see what other pages are in that category. If it's a redlink, you can also write a little blurb on the category page explaining what goes in that category, or even make that category a sub-category of another category by doing the same thing on the category page. I hope that isn't too confusing, but it probably is the way I said it. -kotra (talk) 06:34, 3 January 2010 (UTC)
- Thanks, Kotra! That was good information... I'm very new to all of the coding, but I'm really excited to be working on this project! Khris.soden (talk) 19:55, 3 January 2010 (UTC)
- Yeah, wikicode is not very intuitive. I will start a help page on this. -kotra (talk) 02:30, 4 January 2010 (UTC)
- Neat! I made that for this wiki so people could better advertise discussions that need input, sort of like Centralized discussion on Wikipedia. Glad to see it being used! -kotra (talk) 17:12, 11 January 2010 (UTC)
reply about Wikipedia etc.
Hi kotra, sorry for the belated reply to your comment on my user page. I fully agree about your concern about Wikipedia articles being subject to subtle influence by persistent POV-pushers (I'd say, either by carefully-planned execution, or as an accident of the editing process, in different cases). Freshly back from Wikisym, my first thought is that it might be a good idea to engage in some dialog with a researcher about this; I suspect a formal study would be a good step both in getting a clear grasp of how this works, to do some thinking about what to do about it; and also, just in raising awareness about the issue.
By the way, some Wikimedia Foundation folks will be in Portlnad this week for OSCON, and I'm suggesting they visit the Monday Meet. Hopefully you'll get the chance to meet some of them, they're great folks. -Peteforsyth (talk) 20:23, 18 July 2010 (UTC)