Portland is the worldwide birthplace of wikis. The very first wiki, WikiWikiWeb (link), was developed out of Portland by resident Ward Cunningham in 1994. Since then, wikis have continued to be features of the Portland landscape. Some wikis based in Portland are the following:
- FreekiWiki, the bustling wiki of local community technology center Free Geek
- AboutUs, a wiki-based directory of web sites. Company is headquartered in Portland, and is closely connected with the local wiki community.
- Shift to bikes wiki, about the fun of bicycling in Portland.
- Coworking Portland
- Personal Telco (Personal Telco) is a Portland-based non-profit building a public computer network.
- Portland Wiki Wednesday
- Connec+ipedia, a resource for foundations and non-profit organizations in Oregon