Difference between revisions of "Colonel Summers Park"

From PortlandWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
m (References: cat)
m (bolding)
 
Line 1: Line 1:
Colonel Summers Park is located at the corner of [[SE 20th Avenue|SE 20th]] and [[SE Belmont Street|Belmont]] in [[Southeast Portland]]'s [[Buckman]] neighborhood. The park is approximately 4.7 acres, and extends to [[SE 17th Avenue|SE 17th]] and [[SE Taylor Street|SE Taylor]]. The park features amenities such as a basketball court, playground, disabled access picnic sites, a soccer field, a softball field, and tennis courts. Adjacent to the park is a community garden of the same name. The park and the garden are maintained by [[Portland Parks & Recreation]].
+
'''Colonel Summers Park''' is located at the corner of [[SE 20th Avenue|SE 20th]] and [[SE Belmont Street|Belmont]] in [[Southeast Portland]]'s [[Buckman]] neighborhood. The park is approximately 4.7 acres, and extends to [[SE 17th Avenue|SE 17th]] and [[SE Taylor Street|SE Taylor]]. The park features amenities such as a basketball court, playground, disabled access picnic sites, a soccer field, a softball field, and tennis courts. Adjacent to the park is a community garden of the same name. The park and the garden are maintained by [[Portland Parks & Recreation]].
  
 
The park opened in 1921 as Belmont Park, but was renamed Colonel Summers Park in 1938 in honor of [[Owen Summers|Colonel Owen Summers]], a former member of the Oregon legislature and a volunteer in the Spanish-American war. A bronze plaque installed on a large rock from [[Kelly Butte]] bears a bas relief of Colonel Summers; it is located at the Southwest corner of the park. Prior to 1921, this area was a steep gulch that some locals had used as a garbage dump.<ref>http://0-sanborn.umi.com.catalog.multcolib.org/sanborn/image/view?state=or&reelid=reel09&lcid=7439&imagename=00073&mapname=Portland+1908-1909vol.4%2C1909%2C+Sheet+403&clickType=zoom&zoomName=216&zoomValue=2.16&CCSI=&centerX=1843&centerY=1616&viewportWidth=925&viewportHeight=700 1908-1909 Sanborn Map - requires [[Multnomah County]] library card</ref> The community garden was acquired in 1975.
 
The park opened in 1921 as Belmont Park, but was renamed Colonel Summers Park in 1938 in honor of [[Owen Summers|Colonel Owen Summers]], a former member of the Oregon legislature and a volunteer in the Spanish-American war. A bronze plaque installed on a large rock from [[Kelly Butte]] bears a bas relief of Colonel Summers; it is located at the Southwest corner of the park. Prior to 1921, this area was a steep gulch that some locals had used as a garbage dump.<ref>http://0-sanborn.umi.com.catalog.multcolib.org/sanborn/image/view?state=or&reelid=reel09&lcid=7439&imagename=00073&mapname=Portland+1908-1909vol.4%2C1909%2C+Sheet+403&clickType=zoom&zoomName=216&zoomValue=2.16&CCSI=&centerX=1843&centerY=1616&viewportWidth=925&viewportHeight=700 1908-1909 Sanborn Map - requires [[Multnomah County]] library card</ref> The community garden was acquired in 1975.

Latest revision as of 13:17, 19 November 2011

Colonel Summers Park is located at the corner of SE 20th and Belmont in Southeast Portland's Buckman neighborhood. The park is approximately 4.7 acres, and extends to SE 17th and SE Taylor. The park features amenities such as a basketball court, playground, disabled access picnic sites, a soccer field, a softball field, and tennis courts. Adjacent to the park is a community garden of the same name. The park and the garden are maintained by Portland Parks & Recreation.

The park opened in 1921 as Belmont Park, but was renamed Colonel Summers Park in 1938 in honor of Colonel Owen Summers, a former member of the Oregon legislature and a volunteer in the Spanish-American war. A bronze plaque installed on a large rock from Kelly Butte bears a bas relief of Colonel Summers; it is located at the Southwest corner of the park. Prior to 1921, this area was a steep gulch that some locals had used as a garbage dump.[1] The community garden was acquired in 1975.

External Links

References