Local Post Offices
Although their numbers are dwindling, nearly every community in Portland has a local post office. One reason post offices are closing down -- according to Save the Post Office -- is due to a "phony financial crisis" that has "forced (the Postal Service to) spend nearly 10% of its budget pre-funding retiree health benefits 75 years in advance. No other U.S. agency or private business faces such a crushing financial burden."
|“||Current plans to close half the distribution plants and thousands of post offices, eliminate six-day and door-to-door delivery, out-source postal trucking and abolish 200,000 jobs will send the public postal service into a death spiral.||”|
Save the Post Office
It's true that much of the effort to privatize the U.S. Postal Service flows out of the revolving door culture of public-private corruption. Now that the United States is considered a "mature" economy, the more acquisitive-minded turn their attention to looting institutional wealth -- like social security -- and public institutions like the Postal Service. The wide-scale asset-stripping and public looting that followed in the wake of the Soviet collapse provides an excellent roadmap for those seeking a similar plan for the United States as the U.S. continues sliding deeper into economic, social and political decline.
Post Office Boxes
Many post office locations offer post office box rentals. Post office boxes are fine for receiving letter mail, but until 2012 package delivery to USPS post office boxes was not available from private carriers like UPS, FedEx and others. In early 2012, the Postal Service introduced a P.O. Box™ Street Address (PBSA) service that allows box-holders to combine the street address of the post office where their box is located with their post office box number into a street address format. A mailing industry publication called the new service "a great service for people who already have a PO Box and don't want their packages delivered to their home."
USPS's Enhanced PO Box™ Services (of which P.O. Box™ Street Addressing is a part) have raised the ire of at least a few private-sector mailing and shipping centers. One UPS Store owner complained to the Postal Regulatory Commission, claiming the "new business practices place the United States Postal Service in direct and unequal competition with our businesses and thousands of other small businesses across the country." Postal customers have also complained. One box-holder claimed that UPS refused to deliver her package to her "enhanced" P.O. Box.
Post Office Box Address Formats
Shown below is PortlandWiki's post office box address formatted in the standard P.O. Box and P.O. Box™ Street Address (PBSA) formats.
- Standard P.O. Box Address Format
- PO BOX 4524
- PORTLAND OR 97208-4524
- P.O. Box™ Street Address (PBSA) Format
- 715 NW HOYT ST UNIT 4524
- PORTLAND OR 97208-2671
- Relevant Documents
- Guide to Post Office Box Street Addresses (PBSA)
- Customer Agreement Letter - Announcing new post office box services, including P.O. Box™ Street Address, Signature on File and Real Mail Notification™.
- Customer Agreement for PO Box Services - Copy of the actual form a PortlandWiki admin filled out to activate P.O. Box™ Street Address, Signature on File and Real Mail Notification™ services.
Post Office Locations
|Brooklyn||1410 SE Powell Boulevard||Portland||Oregon||97202||(503) 236-0256|
|Central||204 SW 5th Avenue||Portland||Oregon||97204||(503) 294-2564|
|Cherry Blossom DCU||10445 SE Cherry Blossom Drive||Portland||Oregon||97216||(503) 408-0265|
|CPU Cedar Hills Mart & Mall||10170 SW Park Way||Portland||Oregon||97225||(503) 297-5755|
|CPU Holiday Card Shoppe||5117 SW MacAdam Avenue||Portland||Oregon||97239||(503) 274-1361|
|CPU Hollywood 42nd Street Station||2000 NE 42nd Avenue, Suite D||Portland||Oregon||97213||(503) 824-8381|
|CPU Lambs @ Stroheckers||2855 SW Patton Road, Suite C||Portland||Oregon||97201||(503) 223-7391|
|CPU Lambs Garden Home Thriftway||7410 SW Oleson Road||Portland||Oregon||97223||(503) 244-9263|
|CPU More Than Mail||6327 SW Capitol Highway, Suite C||Portland||Oregon||97239||(503) 245-3698|
|CPU Woodstock Safeway||4515 SE Woodstock Boulevard||Portland||Oregon||97206||(503) 788-9037|
|Creston||5010 SE Foster Road||Portland||Oregon||97206||(503) 788-9037|
|East Portland||1020 SE 7th Avenue||Portland||Oregon||97214||(503) 234-6182|
|Forest Park||1706 NW 24th Avenue||Portland||Oregon||97210||(503) 228-5412|
|Holladay Park||815 NE Schuyler Street||Portland||Oregon||97212||(503) 282-0950|
|Kenton||2130 N Kilpatrick Street||Portland||Oregon||97217||(503) 735-9816|
|Lents at Easport||3850 SE 82nd Avenue||Portland||Oregon||97266||(503) 774-1522|
|Lents DCU||8100 SE Crystal Springs Boulevard||Portland||Oregon||97206||(503) 774-4938|
|Midway Postal Retail Store||400 SE 103rd Drive||Portland||Oregon||97216||(503) 251-2727|
|Milwaukie||11222 SE Main Street||Portland||Oregon||97222||(503) 654-1643|
|Multnomah||7805 SW 40th Avenue||Portland||Oregon||97219||(503) 452-3112|
|Piedmont||630 NE Killingsworth Street||Portland||Oregon||97211||(503) 282-5025|
|Portland Main Post Office||715 NW Hoyt Street||Portland||Oregon||97208||(503) 525-5398|
|Rose City Park||2425 NE 50th Avenue||Portland||Oregon||97213||(503) 282-4761|
|Sellwood DCU||8816 SE 17th Avenue||Portland||Oregon||97202||(503) 232-9566|
|Sellwood Retail Store||6723 SE 16th Avenue||Portland||Oregon||97202||(503) 234-3246|
|Solomon Courthouse||620 SW Main Street, Suite 101||Portland||Oregon||97205||(503) 294-2399|
|West Slope||3225 SW 87th Avenue||Portland||Oregon||97225||(503) 203-8705|
- Is Your Post Office Closing? USPS Is Studying Shuttering 3,700 Locations
- Save the Post Office Rally and March - Portland Oregon
- How Neoliberal Tax and Financial Policy Impoverishes Russia – Needlessly
- Asset Stripping - A published collection of essays from survivingpeakoil.com
- U.S. Economy In Permanent Decline, Say 39 Percent of Americans: Poll
- Guide to Post Office Box Street Addresses (PBSA)
- Move to Competitive Locations with Street Addressing
- “Street Addressing” Now Available For USPS P.O. Box Holders
- The New Addresses on the Block
- UPS Store Owner Asks PRC to Disallow Enhanced P.O. Box Service by USPS
- Get over yourself, UPS
- According to the Postal Service's Zip Code Lookup tool.
- csv and xls converter to wiki (Windows)
- Commons:Convert tables and charts to wiki code or image files (Multiple formats.)
- Detached Carrier Unit (DCU)
- CPU: Contract Postal Units
- USPS.com® - Find Locations
- Locations of USPS Collection Stations (blue mailboxes) and post offices in PORTLAND, Oregon.
- Post Office™ Locations near 97208 (Near main Portland post office.)
- USPS Abbreviations Glossary - Numeric
- USPS Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Do you want to verify an address you just scraped off the web? Toss the whole lot into SmartyStreets' address field and hit the Verify button. No need to separate out the city, state and zip portions of the address.
- zipLookup is a lightweight JSON based (no database) look-up script that uses a pre-configured list of json files to perform a zip-code look-up on (nearly) all available zip-codes. Test it here.
- Ziptastic is a simple API that allows people to ask which Country,State and City are associated with a Zip Code.
- This tool will perform a bulk look-up of zipcodes in a CSV spreadsheet and add missing State / Town information for you, in a single batch.