Old news/August 2010
Tuesday | August 31, 2010
Food Cart Fight
Will Bing's Food Cart Finder best Google Maps' Food Carts Portland!?! The battle rages as iPhone and Android apps skulk nearby.
- Go to story: Battle of the Portland Food Cart Apps
Monday | August 30, 2010
Former Transportation Office Spokeswoman Awarded DUII
Mary Volm falls off motor scooter while allegedly intoxicated. Mid-life transportation crisis for would-be Portland City Councilperson?
- Go to story: Former Portland candidate faces Ore. DUII charge
Sunday | August 29, 2010
A Streetcar Fuels Desire
Other towns covet Portland's street car success.
Saturday | August 28, 2010
- Go to story: Road to electric cars not so easy
Friday | August 27, 2010
Ninety-Seven Year-Old "Green Jobs" Initiative
These employed folks (and their horses too!) from nearly a century ago already had "green jobs." Then cars came along and ruined everything.
- Go to story: N Jonesmore Street, 1913
Thursday | August 26, 2010
Burnt Coal Fires Up Young Artists
Kids tell Oregon’s Boardman Coal Plant to walk the plank.
Wednesday | August 25, 2010
Canine Cops To Sniff Rails From Portland To Seattle
Amtrak's Vernae Graham claims doggy detectives to thrust noses into "all sorts of illegal substances."
- Go to story: Amtrak Goes to the Dogs
Tuesday | August 24, 2010
Portland Casinos Await Voter Approval
Measure 75's passage will bring gambling halls to Multnomah County dog tracks. Coming next: dens of iniquity and houses of ill repute.
- Go to story: Ore. casino backers drop lawsuit, voters to decide
Monday | August 23, 2010
Pakistan Flood Relief: Be The Change
As Pakistan's "epic floods" continue, Portland's Mercy Corps dives in.
- Go to story: Project: Pakistan Flooding - Mercy Corps is providing clean water, staple foods and clean-up tools to families affected by massive flooding in Pakistan, which has killed at least 1,600 people and affected 20 million people.
Sunday | August 22, 2010
Vancouver B.C. Blonde Does Her Part To Help "Keep Portland Weird"
Beer, Jimmy Hendrix and a "sunny and stinking hot" Saturday Market are all part of her plan.
- Go to story: Perfectly Portland
Saturday | August 21, 2010
Portland's Mayor Takes Aim At Loose Cannons
Mayor Sam Adams asks openly female city attorney to come up with new strategies for reducing gun violence in city. Local firearm fanatic Kevin Starrett derides proposal as "a desperate move by a disgraced mayor."
Friday | August 20, 2010
Get Folked Up This Weekend!
Over twenty venues co-host Portland's first annual Folk Festival.
- Go to story: Portland Folk Festival: For the family
Thursday | August 19, 2010
A TV News Channel To Oblivion
Local corporate media propaganda claims bicycling bad for business. Portland's business community claims otherwise.
- Go to story: Bikes bad for business? Not in Portland
Wednesday | August 18, 2010
"Mob Mentality" Breeds "Irrational Hatred" In Portland, Oregon
Facebook comments threatening "fat, sick, twisted bitches" with "a tall tree and a short rope" invoke memories of "Salem Witch Trials," when "innocent women were condemned" for supposedly making a "covenant with the devil." Exposes Portland's "ugly side."
Tuesday | August 17, 2010
Portland-Area Home Sales Plummet 30%
"...it feels like the bottom just fell out..."
- Go to story: Portland-area closed sales of homes fall 30% in July
Monday | August 16, 2010
Let's Widen The Expressway To Hell!
Responses to call for a rational, long-term transportation plan:
- Step hard on the gas pedal.
- Rack up more frequent flyer miles.
- Drill baby drill!
- Go to story: Get a transportation plan, Oregon
Sunday | August 15, 2010
Portland's "Charms" Backfire
City ends up looking "a lot like Fayetteville."
- Go to story: Portland, Oregon Charms CITY A LOT LIKE FAYETTEVILLE
Saturday | August 14, 2010
Lackluster Local Lucre Licks Lone Lesbian Lounge
The Egyptian Club, Portland's only lesbian bar, to close doors for good October 9th.
- Go to story: Portland Oregon's Lone Lesbian Bar Closing for Good
Friday | August 13, 2010
As Friday The 13th Dawns, Gloom Lurks In Shadows
Portland forecast: sunny and hot. "Much warmer than yesterday."
- Go to story: 5-Day Forecast for ZIP Code 97209
Thursday | August 12, 2010
Electric Vehicle Charging Stations Popping Up In Portland
Pentagon covetously sets sights on faraway lands selfishly hoarding large lithium-ion reserves. Possible invasion targets seen.
Wednesday | August 11, 2010
Heartless County Bureaucrats Threaten Entrepreneurial Tot With Hefty Fine
Public outcry assures that seven year-old lemonade impresario gets to take her mom to Disneyland anyway.
Tuesday | August 10, 2010
A Bridge Too Wide
Ten lane span threatens to drive even more highly-dangerous motor vehicles into city. No end in sight to roadway slaughter, fossil fuel depletion, resource war proliferation.