PortlandWiki:GUI Widget Design
Sometimes called components. These are distinct content items that are finite, and are often positioned separately from the text area of the text. Widgets are often stacked together in a separate column of a page, serving to present the pages content in a different way. Widgets are often used as a jumping off point to other pages.
widgets that appear in order to represent global content
widgets that have content related to the specific page it is on
Types of Widget Formatting
- Image widget - used to display an image with a caption
- Text widget - used to display a specific set of text
- Video widget - used to embed an ogg video player
- Article Widget - represents a separate page by showing a title, excerpt and an image if available
- Link widget - lists a series of links. Most cases it presents a digest of links within the current page.
- External Link widget - lists a series of external links. Used to present a set of links related to a spotlighted topic.
- RSS Widget - used to display content obtained from an RSS feed.
It's important to nail down what elements can be accessed by a widget.